Thursday, December 9, 2010

Things I love - The Outlander Series

Lets get it out there now.  I have a reading addiction.  I love to read and always have a book with me.  Of course, with my handy, dandy kindle that is so much easier.
There are so many books I love.  Classics, period pieces, adventure, historical fiction, etc, etc.

One of my favorite series is by Diana Gabaldon. The Outlander series is currently 7 very long books that encompass historical fiction, adventure, romance and a little fantasy.

The stories always start out a little slow, you MUST give the first book 100 pages before you walk away.  The story is so complex and complete that it takes her a little time to set the stage.  With a 600+ page book to work with (the subsequent books get longer) 100 pages is a drop in the hat.  But you can't let the size scare you.  This series is captivating and the characters are so complete that they become real.  I must say that after Pride and Prejudice, these are my favorite books.
They have taught me history lessons, both European and American, and made me long to visit Scotland where I actually have some family ties.  BBDub has commented many times that while I am reading these he would get more attention if he put on a kilt and spoke with a Scottish accent.  Well, he might, it isn't a bad idea!!  I will confess that I now make him take me to the local highland games each year.  Actually, he insists that I not go alone, who knows I might run off with a red headed Scot!!
If you are looking for a new series to lose yourself in, stay up all night reading and demand the author write that dang 8th book faster, then these are to books for you!

Now, if you are a fan of that popular vampire trilogy and you are over the age of 18, I must insist that you read the Outlander series. Jamie and Claire make Edward and Bella look like casual, platonic, acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment