Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Treats

I have a weakness.  Well, I have many, many, many weaknesses.  One of my weaknesses is sugar.  Anything with sugar, just makes me happy.  So during the Christmas holidays I struggle with all of the fabulous, mouth watering treats available.
I thought this year would be easier since I am not working and the temptations of office treats are gone.
Nope, I create my own temptations.  And I am weak!

First of all there is egg nog.  I adore the stuff, could drink it by the gallon.  I buy the low fat version to try and lessen the damage to the fibers in my jeans, but I am not sure it makes that much of a difference.  I have not and will not look at the nutritional information on the back.  In my book that is just like intentionally getting a blistering sunburn on your shoulders.  Why put yourself through the pain.  Thankfully my kids don't care for egg nog so it is all mine, mwahahahahahah!

Lets talk fudge.  Glorious, creamy, rich, chocolaty fudge.  I made the mistake of looking for a simple recipe online the other day.  Get this.  Take 3 cups (18 ounces) of chocolate chips and one can of sweetened condensed milk.  Heat both in a saucepan until combined and pour into any container lined with wax paper.  If you want toppings on this I would suggest putting them on the bottom and pouring the fudge over the top.  It is pretty thick and my toppings needed to be pressed in.  Even then they all didn't stick.  Doesn't matter though because this stuff is divine, the simplicity makes it even better in my book.  I topped it with peanuts and sea salt.  Then I hid it.  Please don't rat me out, I don't know if I can bring myself to share.

Enstroms Toffee is good enough to kill for.  It is decadent buttery, almond, chocolate toffee that comes in 1/2 lb boxes.  I simply cannot control myself around them.  Thankfully they are only sold at Enstroms stores and mall kiosks.  With Dude hanging around all the time going to a mall is the last thing on my list.  Even less appealing than stripping wallpaper.  So I have been saved from that temptation, but it doesn't keep be from dreaming about it. 

Then there is pecan pie, or pecan pie tartlets.  Oooh the buttery, custardy, sugary goodness.  I can't have this in the house ever or I will eat the entire pie.  In college my roommate, before she was my Sister-in-law, made a bunch of pecan pies and froze them.  I can tell you that frozen pecan pie, eaten in the dark of the kitchen with a steak knife is just a good as room temperature pecan pie.

Last but not least there is the temptation of Starbucks.  I used to have an addiction to the pumpkin spice latte.  That was before Stephanie introduced me to the salted caramel hot chocolate, with extra salt and caramel.  These are AMAZING.  They are sweet, salty and chocolaty all at once.  Pure bliss for your palate in a cup.  Yesterday I entered a drawing for a $1,000 Starbucks gift card.  If I win it may got towards hundreds of venti salted caramel hot chocolates.

So, when you ask what I want for Christmas I will tell you, willpower. Because with all of the tempting holiday goodies I find my willpower lacking.  Lets face it, nonexistent.  This afternoon I put all of my skinny pants away until after new years.  Why torture myself, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment