Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup

We woke up this morning to a dusting of snow on the ground and I just wanted to snuggle back into bed and go back to sleep.  Unfortunately for me it is Wednesday and Birdie is in the midst of spirit week at school.  So I hualed myself out of bed and helped her create a superhero costume out of her closet.  I am not sure what kind of superhero she was but she was thrilled.  Once we dropped her off at school I turned to Dude and said, I know what we are going to do today!!!

Make Tomato Soup!!!

Growing up I loved Cambells Tomato Soup.  With grilled cheese or saltine crackers, it was divine!
However, as I have gotten older it doesn't really cut it for me anymore.  I had resigned myself to only enjoying tomato soup at restaurants and living with the disappointment.

Everything changed when I read a post on Eat, Live, Run where she makes a super easy and yummy creamy tomato soup.  So I swooped right in and stole her recipe!!!

I love easy, and I love quick and I adore minimal cleanup!  This is a keeper in our house.

Cast of Characters

Dice up 1/2 an onion and about 6 roma tomatoes.  You can use a 16 oz can of good diced tomatoes here too, but I actually had fresh so that is what I went with!

Toss the onion in your soup pot with 3 tablespoons of butter and cook them until they are good and caramelized, just a little brown.  Throw in 3 tablespoons of flour and mix together to create a roux.

While the roux is cooking for a few minutes toss the diced tomatoes, baking soda, salt and sugar together in a bowl.

Then add the cream to the roux, stir well and toss in the tomato mixture.  Let this cook for 4-5 minutes while you get out your handy dandy immersion blender.

Put that puppy in and go to town!!!  If you don't have an immersion blender you can transfer this to a blender and use that to puree.






Now EAT!  You can serve this with a heavenly gooey grilled cheese, toasted bread, saltines or a healthy side salad.  Whatever your little heart desires.  Just make sure to eat quickly so you can get seconds before your kids gobble it all up!!





Creamy Tomato Soup

3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 yellow Onion diced
3 tablespoons Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 teasppon Salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2-3 cups Tomatoes diced
1 pint Cream
1/2 cup Milk

Heat butter in your soup pot and add onions.  Saute until just brown.  Add flour and mix well.
Allow roux to cook while you mix tomatoes with baking soda, salt and sugar. 
Add cream and milk to the roux and stir well.  Add tomato mixture and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Puree with immersion blender or standard blender.

Serve warm with crusty bread, grilled cheese or a side salad.

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I am definately going to have to try this! Didn't take too long either huh?

    ReplyDelete