Saturday, January 1, 2011

Black Eyed Pea Dip

Happy New Year!

In our home we have a tradition of eating black eyed peas every January 1st for good luck.  Unfortunately Birdie and Dude are not fans, so this tradition becomes a battle of wills.  When I saw this recipe on The Pioneer Woman's blog I knew I had to try it.

Cast of Characters
In my goal to dirty as few dishes as possible I did this all in the dish I used to bake it.  Voila, very little clean up!
Now, mash up those black eyed peas!  Not all of them, about 2/3 of the can, you want a few whole for a little texture.

Then chop up the jalapenos and onions.  Mix in the sour cream, salsa and grated cheese.  I try to grate my own cheese most of the time, it saves bundles of cash and then I can sample some.

I omitted the hot sauce since the kids are a little tender about spicy things, but I think it would be even better with it!

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes and let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.  Mine was 1-2 inches thick, if you go much thicker, I would increase the baking time by 10 minutes, just to be sure the center gets cooked well.

Serve with tortilla chips!

Black Eyed Pea Dip

1 can black eyed peas
1/2 onion diced - diced
1 small can jalapenos - diced
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar
3 tbl salsa
hot sauce to taste

Drain peas and mash with a potato masher.
Stir in remaining ingredients and spread in baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment