Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

While the temps outside are below freezing, I am feeling snug and warm in our cozy house.
Our most recent storm brought a teensy bit of snow and two days of temperatures below zero.  The schools were closed because of the cold weather and the kids were bouncing off of the walls!

Of course this drove me to distraction and domesticity.  The kids have made forts of all kinds, played dominoes and uno, and watched all the movies I had the foresight to pick up at Red Box before the storm hit.  They consumed a dozen popsicles and several gallons of hot chocolate.

Overall we had a great couple days together, and topped it off by making Chicken Pot Pie.
This recipe is very easy, although it takes a little longer to make than a typical weeknight meal, there are plenty of leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.

Cast of Characters

I know there are ways to make this completely from scratch, but that just isn't how I roll.  I am more of the throw together girl and the idea of making a pie crust from scratch makes me a little scared.

So I reach for the pre-made ingredients.  AKA: Give thinks for pre-made to keep mommy sane!

If you cook your own chicken breast, just cut it into bite sized pieces.  About two cups worth.  I like getting the pre-cooked chicken on occasion, just to make my life a little simpler.  If you get the frozen pre-cooked stuff, be sure to let it thaw at least half way.
Pick whatever frozen veggies your family likes.  Dude and Birdie have very strong opinions about what veggies should be allowed in their pot pie, so we stick to the peas and carrots.  I have found at 12-14oz of veggies makes a nice chicken to veggie ratio.
Mix your chicken, veggies, cream of mushroom, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper together.  You can use whatever cheese you like.  I had part of a brick of velveeta in the fridge so I just cubed it and mixed it in.  Salt and pepper amounts are up to you.  I just sprinkle the pepper in until everything has a little.  Salt is a big option here too.  I do a couple grinds of seal salt, just to bring out the flavor, but the condensed soup adds plenty of salt.

Unroll one of your pie crusts and slap it in your pie plate, fill the crust with your chicken mixture and top with the second pie crust.  There will be too much dough on this one.  You can cut it off or just fold it down and pinch it together like I do.  Really, who would want to waste good crust.

Cut some slits in the top to let the steam escape and pop this baby in the oven at 425.  Let it bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden.  Take it out and let it rest.  Seriously, you need to let the fabulousness that is inside thicken up a little.  I try to let it sit for about 20 minutes, if we can keep our fingers out.

Serve and enjoy.  Then enjoy again tomorrow.


Chicken Pot Pie

2 refrigerated pie crusts
2 cups chicken cubed
12-14 oz frozen vegetables
1 can Cream of mushroom
1/2 cup cheese, grated or processed
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the cubed chicken, veggies, condensed soup, salt and pepper.
Place one pie crust in a pie plate.  Fill with chicken mixture, and top with second pie crust.
Crimp edges together and cut sluts in top for steam to escape.
Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes, and allow to rest out of the oven for another 20.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment